Tuesday, July 10, 2012

UnEnchanted - Chanda Hahn



Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crushes life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it's next fairytale victim.


To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.












I liked the idea of this story with the Grimm fairy tales, it appealed to my inner child. I couldn't decide right away if I liked this book or not. It started of kind of slow but picked up in the middle. The plot was awesome, but the writing could use some improvements. I would have liked  the characters to be a bit more developed. By the end of the book I decided I liked it enough to want to read the next one.

I liked Mina, she was a character that was easy to connect with as a kind of quirky outsider. She does sort of come into her own by the end of the book. Nan was the every loyal best friend that every young adult book seems to have. I'm kind of on the fence with Brody, he seems like a decent enough guy but his feeling for Mina seem to come out of nowhere and he becomes way too overprotective too fast. Jared was probably my favorite character in the whole book. I can't quite figure out why, maybe it's because he is such a mystery, I want to know what he is, why he's there, and what his ultimate goal is. I hope I get some answers in the next book.

The end of this book was just heartbreaking, I felt so bad for Mina and it just wasn't fair for her after everything she went through. The thing I liked most about the ending was the very last paragraph and that's all I'm going to say.

UnEnchanted was pretty decent easy read for a couple of hours of entertainment and fantasy.


Rating






1 comment:

  1. I have this on my Kindle, I think. It was for free on Amazon and I thought it was interesting. but I have a very long TBR pile so it would be a while before I can get to this book. :))

    ReplyDelete